Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bicitra

I am now taking a medication called Bicitra. It is a clear liquid, I drink 2 tbsp. twice a day, diluted in water. It is because I have renal tubular acidosis, which basically means too much acid in my blood because my kidneys are not filtering it out. Bicitra, simply put, is baking soda for my blood. Keeping my acid levels down is very important in order to keep me off dialysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_tubular_acidosis
http://www.mamashealth.com/kidney/rta.asp

Bicitra tries to fool you- you open the bottle & it's clear, seemingly innocuous and has a pleasant grape-flavored scent. Kind of like Dimetap. I like the taste of Dimetap, so I figured it wouldn't be so bad. Wrong! This stuff is seriously nasty. It's very salty-tasting, bitter, and it leaves a film in your mouth & on your lips.

So now, I have to drink this crap twice a day. I'd much rather start the day with coffee & end it with wine, but such is life.

No comments:

Random Picture

Random Picture
Rick & Erin at the Biltmore House, Christmas '09