Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Transplant update

Just a quick update of actual transplant-related things. I am officially listed as of June 16, 2008. We are in the process of screening for a living donor. Mayo is working on my sister right now; we will actually find out what blood type she is in the next week or so. If she is not a match for me, I think the next person on our list is Rick's brother. Mayo will only work up one possible donor at a time.
We have a follow-up appointment with GYN today; how exciting.

I have an appointment with my original nephrologist, Dr. Kancha, on Thursday. Now that I am listed, I will not be seeing much of Mayo until I find a donor and have the surgery. Dr. Kancha will be managing my care in the meantime, and I will go & see her once a month. I'll have monthly bloodwork which will monitor mykidney function. For now, I do not need dialiysys, and we are hoping to have the surgery before that time comes.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Why will they only do one at a time? That seems rediculous.

On a completely unrelated note: my word verification is: edogpals (E-Dog Pals) isn't that funny?

Elling Sagen said...

Best wishes from your California
Great-Uncle (Bird's old brother).
I visited the Birdhouse in April.
I know a lot of happy transplants
and you'll do great; though Dialysis wasn.t so bad. 3 years on, now 3 years off; doctors aren't sure why ! !
Love Elling Sagen
sagen009@sbcglobal.net

Random Picture

Random Picture
Rick & Erin at the Biltmore House, Christmas '09